March 22, 2018
The new breed of luxury watch, CITIZEN L introduced six new models
to the Arcly series and Ambiluna collection.
CITIZEN is proud to introduce six new models under the global ladies watch brand CITIZEN L. These luxury watches include three models from Arcly series inspired by the kanon—a musical composition that employs a melody followed by imitations of the same melody. CITIZEN L will also add three models to the Ambiluna collection, timepieces that feature impressive moon-glazed sapphire crystal glass*1 created under the guidance of renowned architect Sou Fujimoto.
Originally launched in 2012 in 50 countries around the globe, CITIZEN L offers a ladies’ watch collection designed as accent jewelry for women living beautifully and powerfully in 21st century.
CITIZEN considers luxury not in terms of flashy or expensive decoration, but as elegant, intelligently designed products with a holistic respect for people and the planet. In addition, all models of this collection are equipped with Eco-Drive*2, CITIZEN’s proprietary technology that powers watches using any natural or artificial light source to eliminate the need to dispose of batteries, which can put toxic chemicals into the soil and water.
Featuring an impressive arrangement topped with large diamond that suggests an image of repeating arcs.
- The outer ring consists of three concentric parts in separate colors, inspired by the repetitive style of a kanon, accented with a crown on the 7o'clock position.
- A single diamond is positioned between the case and the outer ring.
|Launch (Projected)||Autumn 2018|
|Case/Band||Stainless steel / Deer leather
One piece of diamond
|Stainless steel / Stainless steel
One piece of diamond
|Dial||White||Black||Mother of pearl|
|Crystal||Sapphire crystal glass|
|Case Size||Diameter 32.15mm / Thickness 7.93 mm (Design specification only)|
|Movement||Cal. E031 / Accuracy of ±15 seconds per month / Eco-Drive: Running for 6 months on a full charge / W.R. 5 BAR|
The Ambiluna is an iconic collection of CITIZEN L directed by Sou Fujimoto, an architect who has brought innovative approaches to numerous projects around the world.
- Features moon-glazed sapphire glass the iconic design element of the collection.
- Designed exclusively for CITIZEN L, a delicate stainless-steel mesh band embossed with fine patterns evokes the natural textures of flowing sand, and glimmers when it catches light.
- A diamond carefully placed at the bottom right of the highly polished case adds a touch of elegance.
- EM0640-82D features solid stainless steel case and a mother of pearl dial.
- EM0642-87P creates a gorgeous impression with light gold dial.
|Launch (Projected)||Autumn 2018|
|Case/Band||Stainless steel / Stainless steel|
|Dial||Mother of pearl||Rose gold||Light gold|
|Crystal||Moon-glazed sapphire crystal glass|
|Case Size||Diameter 31.5mm / Thickness 7.48mm (Design specification only)|
|Movement||Cal. E031 / Accuracy of ±15 seconds / Eco-Drive: Running for 6 months on a full charge / W.R. 5 BAR|
- *1. Moon-glazed sapphire crystal glass is a frosted version of ultra-translucent sapphire glass designed by Sou Fujimoto, who attempted to symbolize time as shapeless and nebulous as the transience of light. The design inspiration comes from the gentle glow of a cloud-enshrouded moon. It is now the iconic face of the entire Ambiluna collection.
- *2. Eco-Drive is CITIZEN's proprietary technology that powers watches using any natural or artificial light source, eliminating the need to replace batteries. Certified as an Eco Mark product for the first time in the watch industry.
<About CITIZEN WATCH>
CITIZEN WATCH, marking its 100th anniversary in 2018, is a true manufacture d'horlogerie with a comprehensive manufacturing process that extends from creating a watch’ s individual components to its final assembly. The company operates in more than 130 countries around the world. Since its founding in 1918, CITIZEN have held the belief of “Better Starts Now” — that is, no matter who you are and what you do, it is always possible to make something better, and now is the time to start doing it. Sharing this belief, we have made watches, invented and improved technologies and explored the future of watches such as our proprietary light-powered Eco-Drive technology and state-of-the-art satellite-synchronised timekeeping.
- * The final design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
- * Eco-Drive is registered trademarks or trademarks of Citizen Watch Co., Ltd.
- * The availability, specifications and related information such as product code for the models featured in this site, may vary by markets. If you would like to know more details, including the availability of this products in your area, please select your "Local Website" from our global site.
CITIZEN L ethical commitment. What we can do for the earth, society and people.
1. Disclosure of materials
We want our customers to be able to wear our watches with complete peace of mind. This is why we are completely transparent about disclosing all the materials involved in their manufacture, including chemical materials (what and how much).
2. Disclosure of CO2 emissions (third-party verification, a watch industry first in Japan*)
The first step toward reducing your CO2 emissions is analyze how much CO2 your products actually emit. This is why we calculate the total volume of greenhouse gases emitted during the product lifecycle—from procurement of materials and manufacturing to the life and eventual disposal of the watch. We present the result in easy-to-understand terms: “This watch equates to xx kilograms of CO2.”
* CFP Program certification of the Japan Environmental Management Association for Industry. Surveyed by CITIZEN in Feb, 2018.
3. DRC conflict-free minerals audit
Ensuring that our customers can look good without that entailing misery for anyone else represents a very real customer benefit. For this reason, refuse to use any minerals sourced from smelters linked to illegal mining operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), whose profits to go towards financing armed groups. Titanium, tungsten and tin are all examples of potential conflict minerals.
4. Reduced-size user manual
We dramatically cut the amount paper we use by putting the watch’s nine-language instruction manual online. It also enables our customers to access the manual wherever they are. We can also take advantage of the web to provide the information in a more flexible, accessible format.
5. Sustainable packaging
From the perspective of “reuse,” we have considered packaging, and created an improved sustainable package for our watches.
To maintain and inherit the traditional techniques of artisans, the Ambiluna series of CITIZEN L transforms the traditional crafts into the modern arrangements with the cutting-edge technologies. An example is the “urushi drop” with a calm brilliance made by a Japanese traditional lacquerware (urushi) company.
CITIZEN L contributors
Yoshiko Ikoma, fashion journalist
Yoshiko Ikoma has served as vice-chief editor of the Japanese editions of Vogue and Elle, and was subsequently chief editor of Japanese edition of Marie Claire. After leaving that position in 2008, she now works as a freelance journalist creating projects centered on fashion and lifestyle, including social actions, ecology projects and “Cool Japan” projects, while also contributing articles to newspapers and magazines. She launched a project called WAO to introduce traditional Japanese crafts.
CITIZEN L Ambiluna
Hokkaido-born Sou Fujimoto graduated from the Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering at the University of Tokyo. He established his own office, Sou Fujimoto Architects, in 2000. Among numerous awards, Mr Fujimoto won the first prize for the invited design competition “Ecole Polytechnique Learning Centre at Paris-Saclay University,” in Paris, France in 2015, and was a winner of the “Architectural Folie of the 21st century” competition in Montpellier, France.